Wednesday 18 July 2012

Do you find Rap music sexist?

I'm a fan of most genres of music; Pop, Dance, House, R&B, Rock, Indie and the topic of my post...Rap music. However, reading articles and blogs I have noticed a rising rate of journalists discussing about how rap music communicates to its audience and whether it is in fact Sexist? When I listen to rap music talking about women in a degrading manner, I feel like I should be offended... I should.. but strangely I'm not? Is this because I'm so used to rap speaking about women in that way or because I don't take it seriously? A part of me wants to stop listening to it, cut it out of my life out of respect for my sex! But... I don't find it offensive, so I can't! In this post I want to explore whether rap music is sexist and why? and if it is, why don't I and millions of other females find it offensive.


 
Artists like 50 cent just seem to be trying to present how strong and powerful they are through their lyrics. In a sense they are trying to show how masculine they are by distancing themselves from femininity. However, in order to distance themselves they try to dehumanise women by calling them names such as 'bitch' or 'hoe' and typically objectify them as sexual objects for their satisfaction. I have found research to suggest that the genre of rap is being blamed for normalising misogynistic attitudes and celebrates the physical abuse of women. So, could this rap music I sit at home listening to be subconsciously forming negative attitudes towards my own sex? and to males that listen to rap, could it make them think its ok to objectify women?




Lil Kim is a famous female rap artist known for lyrics that talk about her 'ability to please men sexually'. Authors suggest that with female rap artists objectifying themselves, it could imply that even women within rap music think its ok to degrade themselves. However, on the other hand it could be that Lil Kim is in fact using the 'erotic as power'. So rappers such as Lil Kim, Nicki Minaj and Salt n Pepa could actually be using masculinist language about sexuality, to reclaim it and to assert their right to speak of desire and thus, gain feminist power over men.  I personally agree with this as I think women have a right to express sexual desire without caving it to the male gaze so could this be why I'm not offended by the lyrics?

Looking into the background of rap music I found that rap music is described as a form of oppositional culture that offers a message of resistance and empowerment. Also, that when you listen to rap music it's only offensive if its misinterpreted. According to some articles on the topic they suggest that it needs to be evaluated in the light of its humorous and poetic contrivance. So I think rap could be interpreted as offensive but it could also be seen as parodic humour, it all depends on how each individual person decodes the genre.


Enjoy!
Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment